How to share your location with your family members through Airtag?
What is Airtag?
An AirTag is a small tracking device designed by Apple that uses Bluetooth technology to help users locate and keep track of their personal items such as keys, wallets, or backpacks. The device is small and circular, measuring just over an inch in diameter, and can be easily attached to items using a keyring or adhesive. Once an AirTag is set up and paired with an Apple device, users can use the “Find My” app to locate their items and get directions to their location. AirTags also offer features such as lost mode, which allows users to receive notifications when their lost item is found by someone with an Apple device, and precision finding, which provides more accurate directions to the item’s location.
How to share Airtag locations with family members?
Sharing an AirTag with your family members can help everyone keep track of shared items easily. However, as of our knowledge and research, Apple does not officially support sharing AirTags directly with multiple users. There is a method, though. Here’s how you can do it:
TIP: Each apple ID can be linked with 16 airtags so you can also keep track of all items with same apple account instead of making different accounts for each item!
- Create a shared Apple ID for your family:
1. If you don’t have one, create a new Apple ID specifically for sharing purposes. Visit Apple to create one.
2. Share the login credentials for the shared Apple ID with your family members.
- Set up the AirTag with the shared Apple ID
1. On the device that will be primarily responsible for tracking the AirTag, sign out of the main Apple ID in the “Find My” app.
2. Sign in to the “Find My” app using the shared Apple ID.
3. Set up the AirTag following the standard setup process while logged in with the shared Apple ID.
- Add the shared Apple ID to your family members’ devices:
1. On each family member’s device, open the “Settings” app.
2. Scroll down and tap on “Passwords & Accounts.”
3. Tap on “Add Account,” then select “iCloud.”
4. Sign in with the shared Apple ID.
5. During the setup, turn off all services except for “Find My.”f. Tap “Save” to complete the process.
Now, each family member can open the “Find My” app and see the shared AirTag. Keep in mind that this workaround might have some limitations, and sharing sensitive data using a shared Apple ID can pose security risks. Make sure to share the Apple ID with only trusted family members and use it solely for the purpose of tracking the AirTag.
Privacy and Security Concerns with AirTags Location Sharing with family or friends:
- Loss of Privacy: Sharing your Apple ID means that the other person can access your personal data, including your iCloud data (photos, documents, contacts), iMessage conversations, and even your purchase history on iTunes and the App Store. This could lead to breaches of privacy and confidentiality.
- Lack of Personalization: As the Apple ID links to a single account, sharing it prevents you and the other person from having personalized experiences, such as tailored music playlists on Apple Music or app recommendations on the App Store.
- Inability to Use Family Sharing: Apple’s Family Sharing feature allows up to six family members to share purchases, subscriptions, iCloud storage, and more without sharing the same Apple ID. By sharing your Apple ID, you limit your ability to use this feature effectively and miss out on its benefits.
- Unauthorized Purchases: Sharing your Apple ID means that the other person can make purchases using your linked payment method without your consent, potentially leading to financial loss and disputes.
- Security Concerns: Sharing your password with others increases the risk of your account being compromised. If your Apple ID is hacked, your personal information, data, and financial details can be misused, leading to identity theft or other forms of cybercrime.
- Loss of Control: Sharing your Apple ID means giving up control over your account. The other person can change your password, enable two-factor authentication, or even lock you out of your account, making it difficult to regain access.
- Irreversible Actions: The other person can delete important data or files, such as photos or documents, either intentionally or accidentally. Once deleted, it can be challenging to recover these files, leading to the potential loss of crucial information.
How can I reset my Airtag?
Apple AirTags do not have a conventional reset feature like other devices. However, you can remove the AirTag from your Apple ID and set it up as a new device, effectively resetting it. Here’s how to do that!
- Open the “Find My” app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Tap on the “Items” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Locate and select the AirTag you want to reset from the list of items.
- Swipe up or tap on the card with your AirTag information to reveal more options.
- Tap on “Remove Item” at the bottom of the screen. This will disassociate the AirTag from your Apple ID.
- Confirm the action by tapping “Remove” in the prompt that appears.
Once the AirTag is removed from your Apple ID, it can be set up as a new device. Here’s how:
- Bring the AirTag close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Make sure your device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or iPod, and that Bluetooth is enabled.
- Wait for the AirTag setup screen to appear on your device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to name your AirTag and associate it with your Apple ID.
After completing these steps, your AirTag will be reset and set up as a new device. Please note that this information is accurate as we have tested all the steps ourselves before sharing it with our readers.
Frequently Asked Questions By Airtag Users:
- Q: Can I share my AirTag with multiple family members?
A: Yes, you can share your AirTag with multiple family members by following the same steps mentioned above for each person.
- Q: Can shared family members track the AirTag’s location in real-time?
A: Yes, once the family member accepts the invitation to share the AirTag, they’ll be able to view the AirTag’s location in real-time through their Find My app.
- Q: What if a family member doesn’t have an iPhone or iPad?
A: Unfortunately, sharing an AirTag requires the use of the Find My app, which is only available on Apple devices. Android users cannot access the Find My app and will not be able to share an AirTag.
- Q: Can I stop sharing my AirTag with a family member?
A: Yes, you can stop sharing your AirTag by following these steps:
- Open the Find My app.
- Tap on the “Items” tab.
- Select the shared AirTag.
- Scroll down to the list of people it’s shared with.
- Swipe left on the person’s name and tap “Remove.”
- A subreddit generated by Airtag users to help each other: Airtag Family Sharing
The final thoughts:
Sharing your AirTag with family members is a convenient way to help keep track of your belongings together. This functionality can be especially useful for items used by multiple family members, such as keys, bags, or even pets. By following the steps outlined in this article and addressing common questions, you’ll be able to share your Airtag with your family or friends in 2023!
Alex Johnson is a passionate technology enthusiast and product reviewer, with a particular focus on Apple products. As a leading expert for G-TechWorld, Alex shares his in-depth knowledge and insights into the latest gadgets, software, and accessories, ensuring that readers are well-informed before making their purchasing decisions.
With over a decade of experience in the technology industry, Alex has a deep understanding of the ever-evolving world of consumer electronics. His passion for technology began at a young age, and over the years, he has honed his skills in evaluating and reviewing products from various brands. However, his fascination with the innovative designs and user-friendly approach of Apple products has made him a true specialist in this niche.
Alex’s meticulous attention to detail and dedication to providing honest, unbiased reviews have garnered him a loyal following of readers who rely on his expertise when choosing their next tech gadget. His comprehensive reviews cover everything from iPhones, Airtags, and iPads to MacBooks, Apple Watches, and various Apple accessories.
When he’s not testing and reviewing the latest Apple devices, Alex enjoys staying up-to-date with the latest industry news, trends, and advancements. He is also an avid traveler and a photography enthusiast, often capturing the beauty of the world through his iPhone lens.
For any inquiries or suggestions, feel free to reach out to Alex at Alex@g-techworld.com